Friday, October 3, 2008

Visitors

Loved Ones,

I fear it will grow boring to say that we had another good day! Except for the White Sox, all else was in line.

We had wonderful visits with friends from DC. We had emails with prayer for Ray and commiseration over the Sox. The girls and Ray had time for some much needed rest. All were much appreciated.

We know God's healing hand is on Ray. We cherish your prayers.

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." Matthew 25:35-36

not alone and not afraid --
kristin and ray

PS At long last, the beet soup recipe:

Russian Cabbage/Beet Borscht (Adapted from Moosewood Cookbook)
1.5 cups thinly sliced potato
1.5 cup thinly sliced red beets
4 cups water
1-2 Tbs olive oil
1 cup chopped onion

1 scant tsp caraway seeds
1.5 tsp salt (+/- to taste)
1 stalk celery chopped
1 med carrot sliced
3-4 cups shredded cabbage
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1 tsp dill
1-2 Tbs cider vinegar

1-2 Tbs brown sugar or honey
1 cup tomato puree

Put potatoes, beets and water in a med size saucepan. Cover and simmer overmed heat till tender (20-30 min). Heat oil in kettle or dutch oven. Add onion, caraway seeds and salt. Simmer over med heat, stirring occasionally till the onions are translucent(8-10 min). Add celery, carrots, and cabbage plus 2 cups of the cooking water from the potatoes and beets. Cover and simmer over med heat till vegetables are tender. Add remaining ingred (incl all the potato beet water) cover and simmer another 15 min. Taste to correct seasoning.