Monday, June 30, 2008

Depending on God

Loved Ones,

The highlight of our day was a "Princess Party" for the girls. Each girl was able to dress up in a princess dress (including mom) and got their hair and nails done. Our royal videographer (daddy) accompanied us. The girls loved it.

Other bright spots -- Ray gained two pounds!! We'll see if he keeps it on tomorrow, but it was exciting for us. And of course, the White Sox. We are beginning to notice that the Sox seems to win when Ray feels good and lose when he is under the weather. Another great night tonight.

Ray continues to show improvement -- feels pretty good and has energy for more than before. We are thrilled and thankful for this progress! However, we know that this is a waiting period. We won't really know the impact of the chemo until he has another scan and it isn't clear when that will be. Most likely sometime between the 4th - 6th round of chemo. Even with a scan, which will show the liver, we won't see the progress in Ray's stomach without another endoscopic procedure. We haven't even asked yet about timing for that.

I said last night that we depend on God for continued progress and healing. Those words are not said lightly. For those of us who are often self reliant, it can sometimes be uncomfortable to rely solely on God's provision.

When I was in college I listened to a prisoner tell his faith story. He was utterly convinced of God's gracefulness, feeling completely unworthy. As I listened I thought how lucky he was. He didn't think he could do it on his own. He knew just how needy he really was.

That is a parallel to how we feel now. We know that our very lives rely on God's mercy and provision.

And so, we depend on God for Ray's healing. For the God who healed the sick and made the blind see to reach down in our little corner of Naperville and make this husband, father and friend whole again.

"But I trust in you, O Lord; I say "You are my God." My times are in your hands; deliver me from my enemies and from those who pursue me. Let your face shine on your servant; save me in your unfailing love." Psalm 31:14-16

not alone and not afraid --

kristin and ray