Friday, August 17, 2012

4 Years Later

Loved Ones,

This week marked the end of our summer as the girls went back to school.

We had a lovely summer, if short!

All three girls swam on the swim team.  I was so proud of their accomplishments and tenacity in the pool.  This part of our life bears almost no relationship to the time when Ray was here - it feels so familiar to us - but so different from our life with Ray - swimming in the pool -- but then with babies in tow.

But for other parts of our summer, Ray was constantly on our mind.

We returned to Michigan, where we vacationed with Ray 4 years ago.  Nora remembered the boat ride we took with Ray.  And he was constantly on my mind.  We swam in the same pool, had smores on the same beach, climbed the same steps, ate at the same restaurants - one depicted on this blog.

And we cheered the Olympics with him in mind.  Still Michael Phelps.  Still a champion!

This week Lucy, our youngest, went to Kindergarten.  Like I did four years ago when our oldest went off to kindergarten, I volunteered at the school for her first day.  I remember volunteering with Nora like it was yesterday.  I remember my thoughts.  I remember my state.  What would the future hold?

At the time, my thoughts were marked with fear and incredulity.

This time around, I know what the future can hold.  And I wonder, what will life be like four years from now?  What will transpire?  What things will be unexpected?

And thus, when watching the Olympics, I take note.  What will I remember in four years?  Who will I be glad I watched with?

I am thankful for the peace I have even in this knowledge.  I am thankful to be watching the Olympics, volunteering at school on this day.  I am thankful.  And I treasure these thoughts in my heart.

not alone and not afraid --

kristin

"For we know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you,  because our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and deep conviction." 1 Thessalonians 1:4

No comments: