Sunday, November 9, 2008

Ready for Round 11

Loved Ones,

It was another good day. The first after Round 10 where Ray just seemed totally himself. We're glad we now have some three week cycles. One day of Ray is not enough!

We look forward brightly to tomorrow for God's healing power in the chemo of Round 11.

My cousin sent me this verse last week:

"Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
Along with it, she sent this definition:
Poor of Spirit - This word was taken from a Greek word meaning "to crouch." It can mean lowly, afflicted, helpless, powerless to solve a problem, lacking wealth and education, or begging.

Who among us aspires to be the "poor in spirit??" Though I thanked her for her email, I put the thought aside.

This verse and its definition came back to me today. Especially this part: "powerless to solve a problem." Well yes, we are that.

So it is that Ray and I are the poor in spirit. Something we never wanted to be, something that for most of our lives, we weren't.

Here's the thing about being powerless. When we cede that power, we must rely on someone else. Someone else who has more strength and power.

Today I rocked Lucy to sleep for her nap. Lucy doesn't just want to be held, she wants to be secured. She wants her arms tucked underneath her little body snuggled tightly to me.

Somehow, I believe that in becoming powerless, we are able to be secured more tightly to God while we wait for his power to save us. That vision of God, securing us, like we secure little Lucy, makes it feel a little better to be powerless.

And so, we wait, for God's healing hand on Ray.

"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!" Isaiah 49:15

not alone and not afraid --

kristin and ray