Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Better Day

Loved Ones,

Today was a better day. Ray is still tired, but he is doing better and his appetite is increasing.

Let me tell you about our day. It was Nora's first full day of school. Ten, count them ten, of her beloved relatives walked her to the bus stop today!!! Can you imagine? Luckily it was not junior high! She would never forgive us! Both grandmas, her grandad, one aunt, two cousins, mom, dad and both sisters. She's a lucky kid.

I volunteered at school (not in her class) but was able to ride the bus home with her on her first day. All but one of the relatives met us at the bus! Fitzgeralds doing it right!!!

We had some answers to prayer today. First, we sent the pathology slides to Northwestern and talked to Ray's doctor and they are going to expedite tests to see what we are dealing with in terms of the hereditary cancer question. Second, we talked to Ray's doctor about going to MD Anderson for a second opinion on Ray's current and future treatment options. She was supportive and very helpful. An answer to prayer.

SO! We will be off to Houston in September to hear their recommendations. As you may remember, we consulted with MD Anderson at the beginning, but they have never seen Ray in person. Because they require new scans at MD Anderson, we will forego his scan here and have it there. It will be the same timing (after the 8th round), and his doctor here will use it instead of their scan so we have all the benefits and less radiation. Excellent news.

We are glad to get this all in the works and are looking forward to our visit there. Ray is at the midpoint of his chemo cycle so things should be going up the rest of this week and we are really happy about that. This is his low point though for germ sensitivity so Lucy's cold is not great news! More things to pray about.

We love you all and are very thankful that you are sharing in this journey with us.

"To you O LORD, I lift up my soul; in you I trust, O my God. Do not let me be put to shame, nor let my enemies triumph over me. No one whose hope is in you will ever be put to shame... Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are my God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long." Psalm 25:1-5

not alone and not afraid --
kristin and ray

No comments: